Civics for All: 9-12 Part 1
This curriculum resource is the first volume of the 9-12 grade band of Civics for All. This resource is a companion to the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) curriculum, Passport to Social Studies. The included resources were developed by a team of NYCDOE staff, New York City teachers, and various cultural partners. The development of these resources was informed by and integrated with the following documents and perspectives: New York State K–12 Social Studies Framework, the New York State Next Generation English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies Learning Standards, and the New York City K–12 Social Studies Scope & Sequence. The Civics for All curriculum is designed to be modified and adapted to fit the needs of all New York City classrooms. The NYCDOE will continue to curate lesson plans and resources that will be made available to teachers and schools.
This guide includes multiple components:
• Guidance for teachers and school administrators on quality civics instruction
• Suggestions on implementation models for integrating Civics for All into existing programming
• Lesson plans divided thematically to reflect grade-band level-appropriate learning
• Project plans designed to enhance student understanding through project-based learning
• A comprehensive step-by-step guide to engaging students in community-based, real-life action projects
• Instructional guidance on elections for first-time registrants and voters
Please note that the Civics for All materials for each grade band include two volumes, Civics for All: 9-12 Part 2 can be found here.
Access a version of this resource compatible with assistive technology and screen-readers here.