Science scope and sequence: PK-8
The New York City PK-8 Science Scope and Sequence 2018 is a new scope and sequence for Science, aligned to the NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards (which are based on the Next Generation science Standards). During the school year 2018-2019, educators in grades 6-8 should use the new 2018 NYC PK-8 Scope & Sequence as awareness and professional learning tool for the NYSSLS, and use the 2015 Enhanced 6-12 Scope & Sequence to plan and deliver instruction. Features of this new resource include:
- A year-long PK-8 Curricula Implementation Timeline, including alignment to Pre-K for All Interdisciplinary Units of Study.
- Detailed year-long and unit overviews, including the three dimensions of science in the Performance Expectations: Science and Engineering Practices; Disciplinary Core Ideas; and Crosscutting Concepts.
- Alignment to Disciplinary Core Ideas across grade levels; Engineering Design Performance Expectations; the Nature of Science; and Engineering, Technology, and Applications of Science.
- Alignment to the Excellence in Environmental Education: Guidelines for Learning (K–12) published by the North American Association of Environmental Education to support the environmental education of NYC students and to encourage them to find innovative solutions to environmental problems and issues in their communities.
- The New York State Education Law, Article 17, Section 809 (Instructions for the Humane Treatment of Animals) and Section 810 (Conservation Day).
- Evidence statements for NYSED-specific Performance Expectations.
This resource is also included in these collections: