Four Pillars for Building Trust in New York City Public Schools
Reimagining the student experience
- Career Pathways Initiative —creating career-connected learning and pathways for all our students to help activate their passion and sense of purpose.
- Ensuring that all students graduate with a strong plan and head start on a pathway to the middle class, including financial literacy and civics skills.
- Supporting our children to become strong readers.
- Making sure every single one of our students is getting strong, phonics-based literacy instruction from the very start.
- Building on the universal screening tools that identify risk for dyslexia to tailor more effective responses at the earliest possible ages; strengthening early childhood education.
- Creating an Advisory Council on Literacy.
- Virtual learning -expanding virtual options for students.
Scaling, sustaining, and restoring what works
- Identifying the amazing practices throughout our system and sharing via state-of-the-art knowledge-sharing system so that they become models that other schools can try to emulate.
- Expanding opportunities for accelerated learning in every school.
Engaging families to be our true partners
We will be in close communication with our families, surfacing their expertise to enable all of us to more effectively educate and support our children. Research shows that of all the factors that determine positive student outcomes, family engagement is at the top of the list.
Read Chancellor David C. Banks' remarks on his vision from March 2, 2022.
Read Chancellor David C. Banks' State of our schools remarks, Fall 2023.