- Step 1: Setting Up a Community Goal
- Step 2: Next Steps
- Step 3: Adding/Removing Community Members
- Step 4: Messaging Community Members
- Step 5: Discussion
Welcome to your new WeTeachNYC Community! The following steps will help you setup the core parts of your WeTeachNYC community.
Step 1: Setting Up a Community Goal
The Community Goal section is a space to share the overall goal and learning objectives for your community and an explanation of how the community will support those objectives. The Community Goal section can be found at the top left of your community.
Click ‘EDIT’ to write out the goal(s) for your community. Then press ‘SAVE’. You can change your community goal(s) at any time by clicking ‘EDIT’.
Facilitator Tip: Consider your learning objectives and how they relate to the goals you have for this community. Be sure to introduce your community by establishing your goals, the commitment (how often users should sign in) and norms for community usage. WeTeachNYC Community goals can evolve over the course of a professional learning series.
Step 2: Next Steps
The Next Steps section helps community members know exactly what they need to do in the community. Next steps can clarify what the work is between sessions by providing reminders to community members and connecting them to discussions that correspond with the work. Clicking on a next step will automatically take the community member to the appropriate discussion.
Click on ‘EDIT’ next to ‘NEXT STEPS’.
1) Click ‘+ ADD AN ITEM’ and two boxes will appear. One says ‘New Step’ in it and the other has a dropdown arrow.
2) Type in brief instructions for the new step.
3) Click the dropdown menu in the box below and select the discussion you want to link to the new step.
4) Click ‘SAVE’.
- Update your community’s next steps regularly so community members can remain informed about what is important.
- Next steps can only be linked to discussions. If you would like community members to review a file, link, or video as a next step, it is recommended that you attach it to a discussion with instructions.
- If you don’t link a next step to a discussion, it is recommended that you write it as a clearly defined action, such as “Click on the Session 1 tag to review session resources” or “Remember to bring your copy of the Danielson Framework to our session on Tuesday.”
Step 3: Adding/Removing Community Members
As the facilitator of a WeTeachNYC Community, you can add, remove or message members from your community at any time through the 'Manage/Contact Members' section.
Adding Community Members
To add new members to a community, first make sure that all members have NYCDOE usernames and passwords that allow them to access WeTeachNYC. If members have NYCDOE email addresses, they automatically have access to WeTeachNYC. If they are non-NYCDOE employees or partners, email WeTeachNYC@schools.nyc.gov with the first name, last name, and email address for any community member to check to see if they already have an account. If they do not have an account, one can be created for them.
Once you’ve confirmed that everyone has an account, add their NYCDOE email address to a spreadsheet in Excel, one email per line.
Please use your NYCDOE email if you are a NYCDOE employee. Non-NYCDOE employees and partners should reach out to WeTeachNYC@schools.nyc.gov to create partner accounts for these community members or facilitators. Save the file as a CSV (Comma delimited) file.
When your CSV file is saved, go to the ‘Manage/Contact Members’ section of the left-hand navigation bar and click ‘See All’. Drag and drop the CSV file into the box that says ‘to add community members’. The system will display all community members that have existing WeTeachNYC accounts that could be added to the community and also any individual(s) who are already in the community. Once you confirm that all of individuals are accounted for, click ‘ADD SELECTED’. This adds the individuals to the community.
Removing Community Members
In order to remove users from a community, you must go to 'Manage/Contact Members' in the left hand navigation and click ‘see all’. A list of community members will appear. To remove a member, click the checkbox next to their name and then click ‘remove selected’. If you are sure, click “yes, remove” and the member(s) will be removed from the community.
Please note that the community member's posts, files, links, and/or videos will still be visible after they are removed from the community.
Step 4: Messaging Community Members
To send a message to members of your community, click 'Manage/Contact Members' in the left hand navigation bar. Here you will find your full community roster.
At the top right corner of the page, you will see an option to 'Copy Email Addresses'. When you click this button, it will take the selected communtiy members and copy their email addresses for you. You can then paste those addressses into the email application of your choice- such as Outlook- to quickly connect with your members.
If you would like to reach all members of your community at once, start by clicking 'Select All' and then clicking 'Copy Email Addresses'. If you would like to reach just a few members, check just the boxes next to their names and then select 'Copy Email Addresses'. Those names are then ready to be pasted into an email. If you would like to clear the checkmarks, click the 'Select All' button twice.
Step 5: Discussion
Discussions allow facilitators and community members to engage with one another and to seek and provide support online before, during, and/or after in-person professional learning sessions.
To start a new discussion, click the green ‘START A DISCUSSION’ button on the right-hand side of the page. You’ll be prompted to enter the title for your discussion and then click ‘SAVE’.
Keep discussion titles concise. You’ll have an opportunity to offer framing and instructions around the discussion in the Next Steps section.
1) Once you’ve pressed ‘SAVE’, a box will appear that says ‘POST REPLY’. Click inside the box and write the discussion prompt.
2) Click ‘POST REPLY’ to make your prompt visible to community members.
Be sure to add at least one tag so that the discussion is easily discoverable to your community members.
3) You can add a tag by clicking on ‘+ Add a Tag’ under the discussion title. You can always go back and add tags after you’re done creating the discussion post.