- Step 1: Create a Discussion: Learn how to create a discussion.
- Step 2: Post to a Discussion: Learn how community members can post to a discussion thread.
- Step 3: Reply to a Discussion Post: Learn how community members can respond to an existing discussion thread.
- Step 4: Next Steps: Let your community members know what to do next.
Create a Discussion
Discussions allow facilitators and community members to engage with one another and to seek and provide support online before, during, and/or after in-person professional learning sessions.
Step 1: Start a Discussion
To start a new discussion, click the green ‘START A DISCUSSION’ button on the right-hand side of the page.
Step 2: Create a Title
Enter the title for your discussion.
Facilitator Tip: Keep discussion titles concise. You’ll have an opportunity to offer framing and instructions around the discussion in the Next Steps section.
Step 3: Adding Relevant Tags
You can add a tag by clicking on ‘+ Add a Tag’ under the discussion title. You can always go back and add tags after you’re done creating the discussion post.
Facilitator Tip: Be sure to add at least one tag so that the discussion is easily discoverable to your community members.
Step 4: Add Discussion Prompt
Click inside the box and write the discussion prompt.
Step 5: Finalize Post
Click ‘CREATE NEW DISCUSSION’ to make your prompt visible to community members.
Post to a Discussion
In this tutorial, you will learn how community members can post to a discussion.
Step 1: Openning Discussion
Select a discussion where you want post to.
Step 2: Creating a Post
Select the section that says "Add reply or upload a file" and type a response or upload a resource.
Attach a resource to your reply by dragging and dropping the resource into the file attachment box just below the text box or by clicking on the words ‘from your computer’, which appears just below the text box.
If you upload an image, it will appear inline in your reply, as well as appearing as a discrete resource.
Add a video by clicking the text that says ‘add a video or a link’ just below the text box and pasting the URL in the space provided to a publicly viewable video from sites such as Vimeo.
Step 3: Finish Post
Click "POST REPLY".
The Next Steps section helps community members know exactly what they need to do in the community. Next steps can clarify what the work is between sessions by providing reminders to community members and connecting them to discussions that correspond with the work. Clicking on a next step will automatically take the community member to the appropriate discussion.
Click on ‘EDIT’ next to ‘NEXT STEPS’.
1) Click ‘+ ADD AN ITEM’ and two boxes will appear. One says ‘New Step’ in it and the other has a dropdown arrow.
2) Type in brief instructions for the new step.
3) Click the dropdown menu in the box below and select the discussion you want to link to the new step.
4) Click ‘SAVE’.
- Update your community’s next steps regularly so community members can remain informed about what is important.
- Next steps can only be linked to discussions. If you would like community members to review a file, link, or video as a next step, it is recommended that you attach it to a discussion with instructions.
- If you don’t link a next step to a discussion, it is recommended that you write it as a clearly defined action, such as “Click on the Session 1 tag to review session resources” or “Remember to bring your copy of the Danielson Framework to our session on Tuesday.”