New York City Grades 9-12 health education scope and sequence
This curricular planning resource provides a practical framework for implementing comprehensive, skills-based Health Education instruction at the high school level. Developed by DOE instructional leaders and teachers and aligned to State and national standards, the grades 9-12 Scope and Sequence is organized around five units of study:
- Social, Emotional, and Mental Health
- Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug-Use Prevention
- Sexual Health
- Safety and Injury Prevention
The Scope and Sequence guides educators in using a skills-based approach in which students learn, practice, and demonstrate the skills they need to make informed decisions and adopt healthy behaviors. Key components include:
- Overview grid: An at-a-glance summary of the curriculum, including units, topics, concepts, and skills.
- Unit Summaries: List the health concepts and skills, essential questions, healthy behavior outcomes, and standards alignment for each unit.